Updating one’s resume, or publishing credits, can often yield surprising information.
I am as guilty as any when it comes to being too busy to add new credits to my resume on an ongoing basis. I recently needed to send my resume to a potential client, which meant I had to spend a few minutes updating my credits first. What I didn’t expect were the few hours it would take me to clarify some information with an editor.
I have developed and sold many puzzles over the years. Once you sell a puzzle (with full rights) to a publisher, anything can happen to the puzzle. The puzzle may appear in a book once, or in several books, or not at all, just sitting in inventory until an editor pulls it for the ‘right’ book or publication. In my case, several of my puzzles were used in books I didn’t know about until I made my request.
After several emails back and forth with my editor determining which books and publications had included my puzzles, I suddenly had a longer list of credits to my name than I had previously believed. A nice bonus there. Of course, it was nice to touch base with my editor, and put my name in the forefront on her mind. While I love keeping in touch with editors, I won’t email or call them without good cause. Their time is precious too. And this editor at Brain Games was quite gracious to work with me to unearth the information I sought.
The key to finding out about the additional books, aside from having a great editor, was the detailed list of what I had worked on, with dates, puzzle names, and the names of her predecessors to whom I had sold the puzzles. I didn’t simply go to the editor with the request, “find all the information associated with my name, please.” I had a detailed starting point for her, which undoubtedly made her search easier – never burden your editor if you can avoid it!
In the end, I have my list of credits… and I even sent my updated resume out on time.